I must admit that cabbage is one of my favorite meals and I’m not exactly sure why. Whether it’s cabbage for St Patrick’s day or just a side dish for some nice barbecue, I love it! Braised red cabbage is one of my favorites to make because it just goes so well with everything with it’s sweet tangy taste! I can literally eat a whole pot of braised red cabbage to myself so I like to make it a lot. It helps that it’s extremely easy to make as well.
Recently for a large barbecue for my family my sisters already took care of the side dishes so I had to scramble to come up with something to make. I decided to go with my braised red cabbage and it was a giant hit. I’m not sure that people really think about this as a go to side dish but it was completely gone after the barbecue was over so they must have enjoyed it!
This takes very little prep and time to make so it’s perfect to go along with any other meal you are making. Super healthy to as it’s loaded with vitamin k and vitamin c. It only take a few minutes to cook and to prep so like I say with the instant pot it saves time! Any kind of meal you’re making just tack on about 10 minutes for this and you’re good to go.
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1 small red cabbage about 2 pounds, cored and chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot and melt the butter.
- Stir in the cabbage and apple, coating them with the butter.
- Add the broth, honey, vinegar, and salt and stir well.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing.
- Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the steam setting and set the cooking time for 3 minutes at high pressure.
- Perform a quick release by moving the pressure release to venting.
- Open the pot, give the cabbage a good stir, and serve warm.