There’s nothing I love more for a hearty lunch than a nice bowl of chicken and dumplings. The way the dough transforms into light tender dumplings is simply magic!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small shallot (about 1 ounce), minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in the instant pot and pour in 1 cup of the broth. Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing. Select the poultry setting and set the cooking time for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- To make the dumpling dough, in a bowl, stir together the flour, bread crumbs, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg, milk, melted butter, shallot, and parsley. Using a fork, whisk together. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until the flour is evenly absorbed. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
- When the cooking program ends, perform a quick release by moving the pressure release to venting. Open the pot and, using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a carving board. Wearing heat resistant mitts, lift the inner pot out of the instant pot housing and pour the cooking liquid into a large (4 to 8 cup) liquid measuring cup. Add the remaining 1 cup broth and the peas to the cooking liquid and reserve. Shred or slice the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Return the inner pot to the instant pot housing and press the cancel button to reset the cooking program. Select the saute setting and melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and salt and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened. Microwave the broth and peas for 3 minutes.
- When the vegetables are ready, add the chicken, hot broth, and peas. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dumpling dough into the pot, spacing evenly.
- Cover the pot with a tempered glass lid and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and, wearing heat resistant mitts, lift the inner pot out of the instant pot housing. Ladle the dumplings, chicken, and broth into bowls and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4-6