Recently the weather has started to warm up around where I live and I was invited to a barbecue for the neighborhood. Only problem was what was I going to bring for a dish? Most everything was already being made so I decided to make some Collard Greens. With my instant pot I was able to make a nice batch of collard greens very quick and was able to transport it there with relative ease.
The dish went over very well as it was completely gone by the time it was over. Sweet and savory, the juices of the collard greens is one of my favorite tastes. Whenever there is a barbecue I love to load up on collard greens to balance out the meats I’m eating. Out of all the side dishes for barbecue, I think that collard greens are my favorite.
Even the most stringent of meat lovers out there will have to go for your collard greens as they are just so mouth watering tasty. This recipe is for straight collards with carrots. Sometimes I’ll put some ham or bacon in as well but I figured that with everything else going on at the barbecue, people would like a more vegetable centered side dish rather than have more meat thrown in.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bunches collard greens, stemmed and chopped (1 lb)
- 4 carrots (8 ounces), peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced crosswise
- Hot sauce for serving
- In a bowl, stir together tomato paste, broth, smoked paprika, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- If not using the vegetable broth, use 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot and heat the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the greens and saute for about 1 minute, until wilted lightly, then stir in the carrots and tomato paste mixture.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing.
- Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the steam setting and set the cooking time for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- Perform a quick release by moving the pressure release to venting.
- Open the pot, give everything a final stir, and serve with the hot sauce alongside.