A hot bowl of this hearty Italian American soup is one of my favorite meals for a brisk fall or winter night. The garlicky, herbed meatballs, beans, and kale make for a sensational combination of flavors and mouth feel. Throw in a loaf of artisanal bread alongside, and you have yourself a one pot meal for the whole family.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90 percent lean)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced
- 6 ounces baby kale, or 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a bowl, combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and mix with your hands until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. Shape the mixture into meatballs 1 inch in diameter and set aside.
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot and heat the oil. Add the onion and pancetta and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add the kale and stir for about 2 minutes, until partially wilted. Add the meatballs, beans, and broth to the pot and stir gently to mix the meatballs and beans evenly into the broth.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing. Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the soup/broth setting and set the cooking time for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes, then move the pressure release to venting to release any remaining steam.
- Open the pot and ladle the soup into bowls. Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan.
- Serving Size: 4-6