Every Christmas our family gets together at my house for a party and every year everyone brings different food items. My one daughter usually brings an enormous horderves spread and one of her biggest hits is her steamed artichokes. It’s such a unique meal that you don’t get to eat that often and it’s so delicious. I’m not exactly sure what it is but I just love grabbing one and dipping it in the sauce for a nice salty and sweet taste!
So the last time she brought it I wondered about how I could make my own and discovered a recipe to make them in the instant pot which makes things easier. I wanted to utilize the instant pot because it’s incredibly easy to make meals with it, but also it’s just something different.
I’m happy to announce that the instant pot version of steamed artichokes not only matched my daughter’s steamed artichokes, but it took a fraction of the time to make.
- 4 medium globe artichokes
- 1 cup water
- Prepare the artichokes one at at time, holding an artichoke on its side, use a serrated bread knife or a sharp chef’s knife to cut off the top one-third of the leaves
- Cut off the stem even with the bottom of the artichoke
- With kitchen shears, trim off any thorny tips that remain on the leaves
- Pour water into the instant pot and place a steamer basket in the pot
- Place the artichokes in the basket
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing
- Select the steam setting and set the cooking time for 10 minutes at high pressure
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then move the pressure release to venting to release any remaining steam
- Open the pot and test an artichoke for how done they are by trying to pull out an inner leaf
- If it releases easily, the artichokes are ready
- If it’s difficult to release, they need to be cooked for longer
- If that’s the case, secure the lid, press the cancel button to reset, then select the steam setting and cook for 1 minute
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, move the pressure release to venting to release any remaining steam, open the pot, and test for how done they are again
- If it fails again, cook for 1 minute longer using the same process
- Using tongs, transfer the artichokes to individual serving plates, allowing any excess liquid to drain back into the pot
- Serve them with the mayonnaise on the side for dipping