Luke requested this for dinner about six or so months ago, but I was slightly intimidated by the slow cooking process. I finally found a good recipe and the courage to make his wish come true :)
Sweet and Sour Brisket Recipe
3.5 lbs trimmed first cut or thin cut beef brisket
3 garlic cloves (minced)
black pepper (to taste)
1 large onion (sliced)
2 cups beef broth or stock
3/4 cup water
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 tsp cider vinegar
pinch of allspice
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of pepper
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 cup of carrots
1 cup of celery
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2.Pat dry 3.5 lbs trimmed first cut or thin cut beef brisket
3. Spread 3 garlic cloves (minced) and black pepper over the brisket
4. Put cast iron pan or dutch oven on medium high heat, brown brisket for about 3 minutes on each side, then remove brisket from pan
5. Add two large onions (sliced) on pan, then add 2 cups of beef broth/stock, and stir
6. Chili sauce: In a separate sauce pan, put 3/4 cup of water and 1 can of 6oz tomato paste; add 1/4 tsp cider vinegar, pinch of allspice, pinch of ground cloves, pinch of ground ginger, pinch of ground cinnamon, and pinch of nutmeg, and pinch of pepper.
7. Add chili sauce to pan with onions and beef broth, then add 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar, and 1 bay leaf.
8. Adjust seasoning to fit your taste. (I added a little more brown sugar and broth to make it taste less like vinegar)
9. Put the beef brisket back into the pan and spoon sauce over the brisket.
10. Add 1 cup of carrots and 1 cup of celery
11. Cover pan with aluminum foil if you don’t have an oven safe lid and roast for 2-3 hours until brisket is fork tender.