Every once in a while my mom would make us chicken cacciatore when I was growing up. I can remember the fact that she’d have to do a ton of prep work and even still it would take somewhere up to an hour on the stove. However, the meal was so tasty that it was well worth it.
With the instant pot you have the best of both worlds. The ease of throwing everything in the pot, the small amount of time it takes, and the same great delicious taste!
I’ve talked before about how convenient the instant pot is for the working mother. For years I’d be making meals the traditional way and now after discovering the instant pot I can make meals much faster. It’s incredible!
- 3 pounds bone-in skin on chicken thighs (8 thighs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the salt and pepper
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot and heat the oil
- Add half of the thighs, skin side down, and sear for 4 minutes until browned
- Transfer the seared chicken to a plate
- Repeat with the remaining thighs
- Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot and saute for 3 minutes, just until the onions have softened slightly
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid, wine, broth, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf and stir well with a wooden spoon
- Return the chicken to the pot and, using tongs, turn each piece to coat it with the cooking liquid then put the pieces in a single layer in the liquid.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing
- Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the poultry setting and set the cooking time for 12 minutes at high pressure
- Perform a quick release by moving the pressure release to venting or let the pressure release naturally
- Open the pot and transfer the chicken to a serving dish to serve