Red Lentil Soup is one of those soups that is perfect if you have a bunch of leftover ingredients sitting around. Got a bunch of lentils and nothing to do with it? Perfect, just throw it in the instant pot and have a soup for yourself!
This soup is brightly flavored from the squeeze of lemon juice stirred in at the end of cooking. That addition absolutely makes the dish, so please don’t skip it. Serve the soup drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with sumac for a nice, peppery finishing touch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Ground sumac for serving
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot and heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and salt and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add the lentils, water, and bay leaf and stir well.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing. Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the soup/broth setting and set the cooking time for 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes, then move the pressure release to venting to release any remaining steam. Open the pot and stir in the lemon juice, then taste and adjust the seasoning with salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top each serving with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of sumac, and serve right
- Serving Size: 4