Salisbury Steaks are one of my favorite meals because I just find them to be extremely hearty AND delicious! Everyone in the house really loves this meal and that encourages me to make more of it. Thankfully, using the instant pot, it’s extremely easy to make.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other neutral oil with high smoke point
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced, and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Cooked egg noodles or Cauliflower mashed potatoes for serving
- To make the patties, in a bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper and mix with your hands until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. Diveid the mixture into four equal portions, then shape the portions into oval patties each 1/2 inch thick.
- Select the saute setting on the instant pot, adjust the heat to more, and heat the oil. Add the patties and sear on the first side for 3 minutes, until browned. Using an thin, flexible spatula, flip the patties and brown on the second side for 2 to 3 minutes, until browned. Transfer the patties to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and saute for about 4 minutes, until the onion has softened. Add the fresh mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot with the onion and garlic and increase the saute time to about 8 minutes until the mushrooms have shrunk and given up their liquid.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, and broth and stir with a wooden spoon, using it to nudge any browned bits from the pot bottom. Return the patties to the pot in a single layer, spooning a bit of the sauce over each one.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to sealing. Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the manual setting and set the cooking time for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then move the pressure release to venting to release any remaining steam. Open the pot and transfer the patties to a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water. Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program once again, then select the saute setting. When the sauce comes to a simmer, stir in the cornstarch mixture and let it boil for about 1 minute, until the sauce has thickened, then press the cancel button to turn off the instant pot.
- Spoon the sauce over the patties and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot with the noodles on the side.
If you are not serving the salisbury steak right away, let the pressure release naturally and then leave everything in the pot on the keep warm setting for up to 10 hours. When you are ready to serve , open the pot, transfer the patties to a plate, and proceed as directed to thicken the sauce and serve the dish.