I’ve often written about different chilis on this site because I find them easy to make and they provide a large portion size so that your whole family can get involved with multiple servings if necessary and next day helpings. I’m all about efficiency and saving time when making meals because I have so many other jobs to do around the house.
The brilliant thing about this recipe is that it uses chicken instead of ground beef for the main ingredient. The thing about chicken is that a lot of the time when I’m going shopping I’ll pick up different cuts of chicken for different meals I’m making through the week. I’ll make some of the meals and every now and then I’ll have plans of making a specific chicken meal and I just don’t make it. So with the extra chicken I can throw it in a slow cooker and make a big chili really easy.
I’d like to mention the benefits of this recipe. It’s certainly easy and requires very little thought. You just throw everything in and hit go. It’s extremely palatable because of the different spices that come out. It’s easy to modify because you can basically throw in any other ingredients you have lying around. Let’s say you have different beans around, you can swap them in or if you want to kick up the heat you could throw in more hot peppers.
Hopefully you see the appeal of this recipe and modify it to your own family’s taste.
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil, optional
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chillies
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz can fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp classic pesto sauce
- Saute chicken in a nonstick skillet, or in a tradtional skillet with oil
- Combine all ingredients except pesto sauce in slow cooker
- Cook on low 6-8 hours
- Stir in pesto just before serving