This is a personal favorite of my son who loves eating soup and getting a lot of calories at the same time. This recipe is best fit for a large slow cooker and can serve 20-25 servings so you know you’re getting a lot. This recipe includes a ton of meat and a bunch of potatoes and vegetables.
This is a great soup to serve with sandwiches as a dinner because a lot of the time I serve sandwiches it seems like a light meal. With the hungry man soup, you better believe everyone is going to be filled up.
My son likes to have this meal on hand when he’s doing his “sumo workouts” which basically means he does a giant heavy workout, then fills up completely with a bunch of the hungry man soup just like the sumo wrestlers do in Japan.
- 6 thick slices bacon
- 3 lbs boneless beef stewing meat, cut up into cubes
- 1 lb boneless pork, cut up into cubes
- 3 14 1/2 oz cans tomatoes
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and chillies
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 6–8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb carrots, sliced
- 15 oz can english peas, undrained
- 14 1/2 oz can green beans, undrained
- 15 1/2 oz can corn, undrained
- 1 lb cut up okra
- Fry bacon in skillet until crisp. Remove bacon, but reserve drippings. Crumble bacon and divide between 2 large (6 quart or larger) slow cookers
- Brown stewing beef and pork in skillet in bacon drippings
- Combine all ingredients and divide between slow cookers
- Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours
- Serve with loaves of bread, cornbread, or a tuna sandwiches