Every once in a while I’ll like to make veal for my family. The taste of veal is very unique and everyone seems to really like it. It’s not every day that I will break out the veal so when I do everyone makes comments on it being “veal time” again. I’ll usually source the veal from my local butcher to ensure that it’s top quality as I can’t find it in every store. This meal will feed a family of 6-8 people.
- 2 medium slices salt pork
- 1 1/2 lb. veal stew meat, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 dashes Tabasco
- Dash of pepper
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Corn Meal Dumplings
- Using Dutch oven or 10″ skillet, fry salt pork until crisp; set pork aside.
- Brown veal in pork fat over low heat about 1/2 hr.
- Remove excess fat.
- Crumble salt pork and add along with tomato juice and seasonings to veal.
- Cover and simmer 1 hr.
- Add vegetables; cover and simmer 30 min more.
- Add more tomato juice if necessary.
- Finish cooking with Corn Meal Dumplings.
- Corn Meal Dumplings: Combine 1 1/2 cups Bisquick, 1/2 cup yellow corn meal, and 2 tsp dried parsley flakes.
- Add 2/3 cup milk all at once and stir only until blended.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dumpling batter onto hot stew.
- Cook 10 min uncovered.
- Cover tightly and steam 10 min more.