Sometimes you really don’t have all that much time to make a giant meal for everyone, but at the same time want to make something hearty that feeds a big family. No problem. Just break out the steak and make some cube steak stew. This will usually feed a group of 6.
- 4 cube steaks, cut in 2x 1/2″ strips
- 3tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp monosodium glutamate
- 3 tbsp. fat
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can (1 lb. 4 oz.) tomatoes ( 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen peas
- 1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 strips
- Dredge meat in mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and monosodium glutamate.
- Melt fat in large heavy kettle; brown meat on all sides.
- Add onion, potatoes, garlic, salt, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Heat to boil; lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 min, or until meat and vegetables are almost tender.
- Add peas and green pepper. Heat to boil; lower heat and cook 5 min longer, until peas are tender but pepper is still crisp.